I’m definitely playing too much of The Simpsons: Tapped Out these days. Eventually I’ll move onto other obsessions, but since I did some interesting math (and I hate throwing anything away that can be preserved digitally), I thought I’d share the results of a mathematical solution I came up with.
Donuts are the “premium” currency in the game – i.e. they’re what you can spend real money on, and they enable you to progress through quests and tasks more quickly as well as let you buy premium items, characters, and decorations. As you progress through levels, you earn bonus donuts until you reach level 939. After that, each “level up” gives you a choose-a-door option where you can win 1, 2, or 3 donuts. You can always spend $50k (in-game currency) to open up another package if you don’t like your first option, and there have been several lines of thought as to what the best strategy is to go for here. I went for a different tack – I already had more in-game dollars than I could ever spend, and placing a few bloodmobiles (the free-donut engine of choice among high-level TSTO-ers) would bring up several of these level-up bonuses in a row. Because I know time is my most precious commodity, I set out to figure what was the fastest method of getting donuts, regardless of the price in dollars.
Someone at work asked about my storage system, and since I tend to share way too many details, I figured I’d turn it into a blog post instead.
First off – a couple disclaimers: this is not a brag post. I know there are plenty of collectors out there with walls and walls of meticulously-sorted Lego parts and I’ve (mostly) gotten over my inferiority complex and accepted that I’ll never have a massive collection like them. On the flip side, this is certainly not a prescription on how to do anything. It’s just a continually-changing work-in-progress that meets my needs right now: a cheap and easy-to-find-everything-in-reach solution for building sets and MOCs from my desk.
I’m quite behind on updating these, but I’ve continued building all Winter (actually, I’ll let you in on a secret – it’s actually July and I’m finally creating this article; maybe I’ll surround it with other builds; maybe it’ll be the last one ever!).
I finally got all the pieces to create the full 8856 helicopter (with proper light gray parts, not that newfangled light “bluish” gray) and put it next to a helicopter MOC I had sitting around since November. Amazingly, the “flex cable system” parts still work quite well, if a little finicky. (The joystick in the cockpit tilts the top rotors in both directions)
As a coworker just said – it’s pretty crazy comparing Lego instructions from 30 years ago to today. I had to do a lot more stud-counting and axle measurements than I do nowadays. Also, we’re now spoiled by axle-colors (evens are usually red or black, odds are gray or yellow); back then, everything was black.
After sorting out all the light-gray from light-bluish-gray pieces (especially the half-pins…. :shudder:), I may end up just leaving this one together on display. I don’t want to go through that again, and realistically, I never end up using the old studded Technic parts in new MOCs. Alternatively (hah) I really enjoy completely alt-builds, so maybe I’ll try to make something using just these parts. Who knows… maybe I’ll end up with more than 3 designed MOCs on Rebrickable yet…